Re: [MiNT] XaAES / GEM memory issues

> Does anyone here seriously run a non-GEM gui
> on their Atari system under MiNT?

Yes, X11 was in practical use; true, Anderss? ;-)

> Linux doesn't favor any GUI either, and X runs with only normal user
> permissions.  What has that gotten it?  It is slow and clunky compared to
> GEM.

So was GEM before it was heavily optimized. F.e. the MiNT's X server (the
old X11R5, not the Ralph's one) is slow, that's true. But nobody spent
last 6 years on it to make it work faster.

> Why not optomize our OS to actually run OUR programs faster, instead of
> worrying about future GUIs.  Even a well working GEM in MiNT seems to be a
> future GUI at this point.

This is not the problem of using or not using GEM, or not the problem
directly related to a GUI at all. The problem is that current AES
implementation is simply dangerous for the rest of the system.

--
Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
mail: draco@atari.org

** Ea natura multitudinis est,
** Taka to juz natura pospolstwa, ze albo sluzy ono unizenie,
** albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.