Re: [MiNT] XaAES / GEM memory issues

Hi Sven,

> > Please tell me, why clipping and window locations have to be integrated to
> > the kernel (whatever way it is done, i assume an XDD).
>
> The reason is simple. The device driver will be opened by several
> processes at once and the device driver code must decide which process
> that should get the event and you need the windowlist and in practice
> the cliprectangles for that.

No, definitely clip rectangles are not needed for that :) The event
dispatcher just wants to know which application is on the top (regardless
of the fact whether it is displaying a window or not) and possibly
maintain a global list of window *handles* to know which window is the
frontmost, though I am not convinced that it is really necessary.
Definitely, it does not matter what are X/Y coordinates of this
window or its rectangle list.

> I cannot recall if MiNT allows one device driver to be opened multiple
> times by different processes

Obviously.

> Agreed. But in my world and also in most texts about OSes device drivers
> are a part of the kernel. If you write a device driver you integrate
> some functionality into the kernel. I'm not proposing alterations to the
> kernel. I'm proposing a device driver and that would be a part of the
> kernel.

Yes.

--
Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
mail: draco@atari.org

** Ea natura multitudinis est,
** Taka to juz natura pospolstwa, ze albo sluzy ono unizenie,
** albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.