Re: [MiNT] XaAES / GEM memory issues

Hi,

> It is clear that I wasn't precise enough.

Possibly.

> I never said that the entire AES should be in kernel mode in any way.
> I'm only suggesting that the keyboard and mouse handling part of AES/VDI
> is moved into kernel mode. This includes:
>
> * Mouse and keyboard handling
> * Cliprectangle handling
> * handling of window locations

Please tell me, why clipping and window locations have to be integrated to
the kernel (whatever way it is done, i assume an XDD).

> All suggestions so far all in some way suggests using special mouse or
> keyboard device drivers. I cannot see the difference.

Well, I can see. Incorporating parts of AES and VDI into the kernel you
make the kernel designed especially to be used with AES and VDI. We
_don't_ want that.

> However, in practice all AESes available today and that I know of is
> executing in "kernel space" as they override memory protection.

Yes, and this is bad. A very exciting idea is to make a big cut and remove
F_OS_SPECIAL from the kernel once oAESis (or any other replacement AES,
which is designed in a clean way) gets less or more complete. This would
of course kill off MultiTOS, N.AES et alia talia.

--
Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
mail: draco@atari.org

** Ea natura multitudinis est,
** Taka to juz natura pospolstwa, ze albo sluzy ono unizenie,
** albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.