RE: [MiNT] XaAES / GEM memory issues

Really? Could you elaborate please?

> Besides, "basic GUI stuff" already exists in the TOS roms; there
> is no need to reinvent the wheel.

You obviously didn't get my point: I'm not suggesting a complete GUI inside
the kernel, but that some basic elements common to most GUIs should be
offered as a service by the kernel. This would allow almost any GUI to be
implemented on top of the kernel, and even use different GUIs simultanously.

It could also run as an ordinary server in user space, but this wouldn't be
nearly as efficient. In other operating systems this would make more sense,
in some cases even file systems and hardware drivers runs outside the kernel
too. But while this may be possible with MiNT, it wouldn't be particularly
efficient. MiNT is not designed to work like this, this is why MiNT-Net, all
filesystems, device drivers and actually every possible service offered by
the program "mint.prg" and it's various add-ons (currently XDDs and XFS's,
in the future it can be a lot more if Frank implements the kernel module
interface he has been talking about) runs inside the kernel.

It seems like you equal "kernel" with "DOS" - a very narrow definition if
you ask me...

The AES/VDI in TOS is not suitable for reuse for many reason:

1. It has no defined API besides the traps which are unusable for the
purpose I suggested.
2. It's not multitasking friendly, as it use busy waiting in numerous
places.
3. It's not MP friendly.
4. It's not expandable.
5. It's outdated, and because of (4) it always will be.
6. It can't be modified because of copyright issues.
etc...

You get the point. Otherwise you wouldn't be using N.AES today.

Jo Even Skarstein

entity to whom it is addressed. Please also be aware that
Vital Insurance/DnB Group cannot accept any payment orders or other
legally binding correspondance with customers as a part of an email.

This email message has been virus checked by the virus programs used
in the Vital Insurance/DnB Group.