RE: [MiNT] XaAES / GEM memory issues

There's no reason *not* to implement basic GUI-stuff in the kernel, since
these primitives can be used by any GUI if you want. Things like mouse,
keyboard and timer events and a window/screen database are well known
concepts in virtually all GUIs, and if these are carefully implemented you
could implement an AES, a X-server or even a completely new GUI in a very
clean way. You could even run all of these simultanously, e.g. if you had an
AES, a X-server, a W-server (even though I'm not sure if W really is a
server) or even the MacOS GUI under a Mac-emulator all of these could run at
the same time without any problems whatsoever.

Currently there is no way to do such things, unless you choose one GUI (in
our case the AES is the obvious choice) and implement the other GUIs as
clients for this particular GUI. This is not nearly as fast or flexible as
letting the kernel manage common GUI resources and put everything else in
usermode libraries, and it also favourizes one particular GUI.

Whether to statically link this or load it as a kernel module or device
driver I really don't care.

Jo Even Skarstein

entity to whom it is addressed. Please also be aware that
Vital Insurance/DnB Group cannot accept any payment orders or other
legally binding correspondance with customers as a part of an email.

This email message has been virus checked by the virus programs used
in the Vital Insurance/DnB Group.