Re: [MiNT] kernel 1.15.10b fragmentation

Hi!

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 08:50:39AM +0100, Sven Karlsson wrote:
> > Of course, this is already possible by using a SIGBUS handler, but the
> > new call would make life easier, especially for non-C-programmers.
>
> I'm sorry but I cannot see why this new call would make things much better
> or even easier. We cannot rewrite old applications so a new call would only
> help newly written applications.

And exactly that (use for new applications) was Guido's intention.

> I would say that using a SIGBUS handler is the preferred solution. That is
> not that hard to implement even in assembly.

It's quite easy in assembler, right. But what about Gfa-Basic, for
example? Quite a lot of current popular applications are programmed with
it (e.g. Luna), and I guess it's a PITA (if possible at all) to use
signal handlers in connection with a setjmp()/longjmp()-style
functionality in Gfa-Basic.

There are other programming languages where this holds true as well,
e.g. certain Pascal variants, etc.

Ciao

Thomas

--