Re: [MiNT] XaAES 0.901

Hi

Thanks for your report.

"Konrad M. Kokoszkiewicz" wrote:

> It works when you start
> it from mint.cnf (but only if you cd to the dir where XaAES binary is
> just before),

XaAES must be able to find its resource and config files.
Shell_find isnt ready yet. XaAES tries some standard paths, yours isnt one of
them I suppose. See userguid in doc.

> but it does not work when started
> directly from bash. The result of that last is just a bus error (the
> last text the XaAES says is "auto program").

New in XaAES is the ability to manipulate the environment.
A copy is made. I'll check this code for anomalies.

> By the way, Henk,
> couldn't you catch SIGBUS and shutdown the AES gracefully? Nothing
> can be loaded after that, i.e. no AES, without previous reboot.

Hmmm. Only opera singers have the ability to die gracefully when stabbed.
(But then they are mostly not really dead I am told.  :-)

I prefer fixing the bus errors.

> I would think, that the programming
> discipline imposed by memory protection could have good influence on
> the XaAES stability, no?

Yes:-) When I reach v0.999 the code will be so clean, that MP will be easy.

> keyboard sometimes looses characters, and when I start typing too
> quickly, some portion of spurious characters (not keypresses!) is
> generated. Looks like a virus, really :-)

You are not the only one reporting this. Unfortunately I never succeeded to
produce the same effects.

> Things I like are nonmodal alerts, small amount of memory taken (ps
> reports below 300 kilobytes, so it is a half or even 1/3 of the
> amount of memory taken by N.AES or Atari AES 4.10, respectively),

I knew you would like this. I am happy that I am not alone. :-)

> window. Also I like that it is free and almost works.
>
> Things I don't like is the unpronounceable name (next one to "oAESis"
> and "Thing"),

An Englishman brought up this name.
I have no idee how it should be pronounced. In English there is often
very little connection between pronunciation and spelling. :-)

Bugs: I dont like them either.
I already fixed a lot. Did you ever try v0.7 ?

There is still so many to do on XaAES, that sometimes I just cant decide on what
to do next.
Be patient, everything will be fixed.

--
Groeten; Regards.