Re: [MiNT] XaAES 0.901

> > Btw, Frank, why is the filename of the MINT binary ignored on
> > 1.15.10b, to select memory protection or disable it? Changing the
> > filename to either MINT.PRG or MINTNP.PRG is to select this is
> > a well-documented feature; it should not be removed.
>
> I wonder where it is "documented". Please direction to real docs?

As has been pointed out by Patrice Mandin in another thread, there doesnt
seem to be a great deal of documentation on a lot of functionality from
MiNT - I have just checked the readmes from various versions of MiNT, and
you are right, I can find no reference to this commonly known feature. This
is a flaw in the documentation, IMO, and shouldnt be used as a reason for
allowing the functionality to change. To take this to the extreme, it is not
documented in the readmes that it is API call compatible with TOS, so is it
okay to change the API such that you cannot run any TOS program upon MiNT? I
think not.

The assumption that "np" means no protection is a very well established one,
and changing this functionality is IMO a mistake - for example, many users
(eg owners of various accellerators, such as the BlowUP-FX) will need to set
this to be able to boot - and this is written in THEIR documentation, even
if it isnt in the FreeMiNT readme. Note that KGMD's (or kellis's English
translation - presumably its in the .de version too) installation
instructions refer to NP to make it work with some hardware - this will
break these installation instructions, and I'm sure many FAQ's and
historical usenet posts, and webpages - meaning more faq emails to the
maintainers because they arent aware of the change in functionality.

Also note that lots of people use bootmenus themselves, such as XBoot, Stoop
etc, to configure their system, and you have added an extra thing that
cannot be configured externally via legacy apps such as these with existing
setups.

What it all boils down to, is... Is there actually a good reason for
removing this functionality? (a boot menu default could be based upon the NP
name?) If there is a sound technical reason, then fine, but if its personal
preference, then IMO a "dont fix what isnt broken" attitude is wise.

Anthony
(ps, sorry Konrad for the duplicate mail)
Anthony Jacques
Email - AnthonyJ@planetquake.com
Web - http://www.planetquake.com/domination