Re: AW: [MiNT] tosfs

On Mon, 30 Oct 2000, Julian Reschke wrote:

> I am not aware of any GEMDOS calls that were supported
> "until" TOS 1.04. Please explain.

Let me rephrase.

Certain calls only became available after GEMDOS 0.15, but were
buggy until 0.20, while other were added only after MiNT 0.94,
others only in MultiTOS-enabled MiNT.

In any case, previous discussions on this list clearly proved
that certain old applications do not like FATFS and need TOSFS.
As I recall, Kellis had a whole list of applications that fail
and better details than mine on this.

Anyhow, both the new VFS interface and UTC are technically good
ideas but, until all previous applications have been re-ported
(e.g. GNU stuff) or recompiled (e.g. Thing 1.27's limitations on
filename lenght, Clocky 3.00 not following kernel time if UTC is
used) or obsoleted by freeware substitutes (e.g. 1ST-Guide,
Imagecopy, X-Control), this is not practical.

Until the above issues are fixed, RTC=localtime and TOSFS=enabled
should be assumed as the default setting.

--
Martin-Éric Racine, IT Consultant * http://funkyware.atari.org/
* May the Funk be with Q! * Author of the Atari TT030 Homepage.