Re: [MiNT] compiling a kernel

On 2000-5-6, Guido Flohr <gufl0000@stud.uni-sb.de> wrote:

> > > and CAB.OVL cannot be compiled using the current MINTLIB:
> > >
> > > init.c:186: `_IOREAD' undeclared (first use in this function)
> > > init.c:188: `_IOWRT' undeclared (first use in this function)
> > > init.c:190: `_IORW' undeclared (first use in this function)
> >
> > Those used to be defined in stdio.h but have disapeared.
>
> Yes, they have vanished because the stdio model has changed.

Noted.

> Howard should change the sources like this:

Howard is nowhere near available to handle much of anything,
anymore.  I recently contacted him about some problems with
my bank's web site and cookies and, unfortunately, his days
on MiNT are over.  He still has his TT, but has started his
own business and has no time left for so many hobbies.

> You can also compile with -D__LOOSE_ERROR_CODES.  That will
> activate the old compatibility names (see <mint/errno.h>).

Noted.

> As for the "missing" aesbind.h, vdibind.h, gemfast.h:  I have
> removed them because they are part of the GEM library and not
> of the libc, and furthermore they didn't match anymore with
> the GEM library itself.  It would probably make sense to add
> the headers for compatibility to the GEM library (only
> consisting of an "#include <gem.h>).  But I am not the
> maintainer of libgem.a.

It would make sense never to remove anything you cannot replace
with something else.  Scraping something and then saying "well,
let him fix it, it's not my department" is not constructive.

Besides, keeping vdibind separate from the AES made sense, as you
will find out if/when you actually try building a new X11 port.

Sure, you could create yor own primitives and display routines,
but using the VDI makes much more sense and remains much more
hardware-independant.  In this case, you would be calling the
VDI, but no single AES function, so why include the whole GEM
binding, then?

Just a thought. :)

--
Martin-Éric Racine  http://funkyware.atari.org/  Atari TT030 FAQ
Lappeenranta, Finland.  Surfing on a Intel/Microsoft-free GEM OS