Re: [MiNT] virtual memory

On 2000-4-26, Michael Schwingen <rincewind@discworld.dascon.de> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 20, 2000 at 07:57:03AM +0300, Martin-Éric Racine wrote:
> >
> > I really couldn't care less about a swap partition, but
> > proper management of the 20 MB of ram my TT already has
> > would be welcome.
>
> Virtual memory can easily make your 20MB much more useful,
> even without constant swapping -

What I meant is, I am interrested in paged memory management,
but not virtual ram in the sense of a swap partition.

> And BTW, depending on implementation, you can even get the
> benefits of virtual memory without a swap file or swap
> partition: the TEXT segment of running programs does not need
> to be swapped out, so you can simply discard these pages
> instead of swapping them out, and reload them from the
> program file when they are needed.

That sounds better, but still means a lot more disk access than I
care for.

--
Martin-Éric Racine  http://funkyware.atari.org/  Atari TT030 FAQ
Lappeenranta, Finland.  Surfing on a Intel/Microsoft-free GEM OS