Re: [MiNT] 2 GB == 2 GB

On 2000-4-19, Rainer Seitel <Rainer.Seitel@web.de> wrote:

> > "George Crissman" <strads@tmisnet.com> writes:
> >
> > > Ah, but 10 Megabytes of RAM (10.485E6) will not
> > > fit into 10 Megabytes of Disc (10.0E6).
> > >
> > > That was why there was a problem.  We needed
> > > 11 Megabytes of disc to hold 10 Megabytes of RAM.
>
> Many people ignore the fact, that "mega = 1 000 000" is an
> international standard. 1 megabyte is exact 1 000 000 bytes,
> nothing else.

Except that kilo is not necessarily 1000.  In fact, being scaled
on base 2, it is equal to 1024 in computer parlance.  The
same goes for calculating one mega.

This is why storage media (not to mention different filesystem
types) do not fit the same amount of data, because they don't use
the same reference point; some use binary, others decimal.

--
Martin-Éric Racine  http://funkyware.atari.org/  Atari TT030 FAQ
Lappeenranta, Finland.  Surfing on a Intel/Microsoft-free GEM OS