Re: [MiNT] timezone change

> > So what about moving the tzinit functionality into kernel and configure it
> > from MINT.CNF? Then there would be no timestamps written because the
> > MINT.CNF is (hopefully) evaluted first.
>
> This would make the kernel a lot bigger.  Have a look at the code in tz.c
> in the MiNTLib.  You would have to enable the kernel to evaluate the
> timezone database and that is a lot of stuff.

Pardon my ignorance, I don't have the kernel source handy. I thought
something like 'UTC_OFFSET=-3600' in the MINT.CNF would be sufficient.
Maybe that this could be limited to whole hours only so 'UTC_OFFSET=-1'
would be perfect. So RTCs (both keyboard processor and NVRAM clock chip)
plus TOS and MagiC would run in localtime while MiNT would run in UTC
internally, thanks to that line in MINT.CNF. And I would just change this
line twice a year (DST) to -2 (spring) and then back to -1 (autumn/fall).

If I am right then I can't see it hard to implement this. No timezone
database needed, it would just set the initial offset for the MiNT GEMDOS
internal clock.

I have just reinvented the wheel most probably so don't kill me, please
;-)

Petr