Re: [MiNT] virtual memory

> Hi!
>
> What about the 030 changes?

I'll send them to you soon.  I have to find them again - I know they're
there, though.

> > I hate English, even though I speak it as a first language.  Too many
> > back and forths.
>
> Hmm, I don't understand. My english is so bad?

No, just that English (and most other natural languages) are not
the best in describing something technical.  An interaction usually
goes something like this: "I mean this." "This?"  "No, this."  "Oh,
you mean -this-!"  "Not quite; this".  "This?"  "Yes, this."

> > I think I understand.  This global table will be part of all MMU tables
created
> > for all processes.  In addition, the private MMU table per process will
still
> > exist.  Rather than containing -all- information as it does today, though,
all
> > entries not private will point off to the global table.  I just need to make
> > sure that private memory to a process and global memory of other processes
> > don't overlap.
>
> Yes :-)
>
> > In addition, I'll need to "block out" areas in the global table to ensure
> > that new global memory does not overlap existing private memory.  The
blocked
> > out area would also be a "preferred" area to place private memory for new
> > processes.
> >
> > Is this right?
>
> Yes. Preserve an area for globally mapped memory that is same for all
> tasks.
>
> > If so, let me go off and think about the implications for a bit.  If not,
> > please help me get it through my thick head.
>
> Hehe, just my ideas about virtual addressing. I don't want that you follow
> me.
>
> > If this is right, the up side is that, since a global table is needed,
> > my work was not in vain.  It may need to be modified a bit, but I think
> > most of the work needed to be done in either case.
>
> I will look at this weekend if I can make some high level MMU table
> manipulation routines. So things will get easier if you like to work
> together with me.

What sort of high level routines?

I'm going to have to sit down for a while and think this through.  It doesn't
seem like a big change from what I have done so far, and does eliminate the
context switching issue.  And what I've lost I think I can recover from the base
version.

Thanks,
Michael
michael@fastlane.net