Re: [MiNT] large binaries with MiNTLib 0.55.2

Hi!

On Mon, Apr 17, 2000 at 12:46:26PM +0200, Tomas Berndtsson wrote:
> I noticed a significant increase in the size of binaries linked with
> MiNTLib 0.55.2, compared to those linked with 0.53, both compiled with
> gcc 2.95.2.
>
> A simple hello, world program gave me these sizes (both _not_ stripped):
>
> -rw-r--r--    1 tomas    tomas      119740 Apr 14 20:52 test
> -rw-r--r--    1 tomas    tomas       31121 Apr 14 20:53 test2

That must be quite a pathological case.  Under normal circumstances
the binaries are really significantly larger but usually not by
that amount.

Besides, if you strip them the difference will decrease.  The new
MiNTLib tends to use longer (and more) symbol names.

The main reason for the increase in size are the new printf
functions.  They offer a lot more features, less bugs and that
has its price.  Apart from that the entire stdio model has a
very high abstraction level with the same consequences.

BTW, how was your simple hello world program? Was it with
puts or with printf?

Ciao

Guido
--