Re: [MiNT] Proposal for SLB extension

Hi!

On Wed, Apr 12, 2000 at 05:41:47PM +0200, Konrad M. Kokoszkiewicz wrote:
> Exactly, and the smallest block to allocate (with mp) is 8k for my best
> knowledge. So doing separate kmalloc() for each application which calls
> Slbopen(), to hold one longword, would be pure waste of resources.

kmalloc() of course does not allocate blocks of 8K per request, but has
an internal allocator. BUT: kmalloc()ed memory is - as the name says -
is kernel memory, only accessible in supervisor mode with active MP.
Thus, you can't use kmalloc() for anything that's going to be used by an
application in user mode.

One possibility would be to make the scheduler set the GEMDOS variable
act_pd, and let the SLB wrapper read the basepage address from there.

Ciao

Thomas

--
Thomas Binder (Gryf @ IRCNet)  gryf@hrzpub.tu-darmstadt.de