Re: [MiNT] timezone change

Hi Jörg,

On Sat, Apr 01, 2000 at 10:44:00PM +0200, Jörg Westheide wrote:

Did my reply sound rude?  Sorry, Jörg, if it did.  It wasn't meant to be.

> Hi Guido!
>
> GF>And that's exactly what happens (I think I have said that several
> GF>times) when you run your kernel clock in local mode, you have the
> GF>choice.
> Yes, you did that (I read it after I sent my mail)

Fine.

> GF>All timestamps written between system start up and that clock warp
> GF>will be wrong.
> Then this is what should be fixed

Impossible.
There is no guaranty that tzinit is really the very first thing executed
by the kernel.  I have a patched kernel here that fixes a lot of
timestamps on a clock warp (for example the timestamps of the kernel and
update in /proc, the devices under /dev and some more) but there is no way
to catch them all.

A few timestamps will always be wrong.  The last access time of
/sbin/tzinit, of /boot/mint/minix.xfs, /boot/auto/mint.prg, ...

OK, we can certainly live with that most of the time but it is a
deficiency that doesn't occur when the kernel runs in UTC.

> GF>I really don't understand that uproar:
> U think this uproar appeared because IIRC Frank and you said that the RTC
> should run in UTC and not in local time without giving any reason for that.
> And because of the problems with UTC in the RTC when using TOS & MagiC this
> seemed to be something silly

But I think I have given a lot of reasons why a UTC clock is superior to a
time keeping model based on local time.  And it should also be clear by
now that if you run your kernel in local time mode things are perfectly
compatible to TOS & Magic.  As for the existing bugs, I can only promise
that I will try to fix them.  Anyway, things can't be that bad.  The new
time model is implemented in the kernel since 1.14.8 or so and most
complaints were about thinkos in the various file system drivers
concerning the conversion.  And these are exactly the bugs that are
constantly fixed at the moment.  Basically things work like they should
and like most of you want.

Ciao

Guido

P.S.: I still don't know what `IIRC' means ...
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000/
Send your spam to president@whitehouse.gov and your replies to