Re: [MiNT] UTF-8 support

Guide wrote:

> Next problem is the GUI elements in the codeset (closer,
> fuller, scroll

Indeed, and this is IMO the only reason not to use a more "normal" (like 8859-1 or -15) charset with the AES.

> arrows).  I think that future AES versions should
> overcome this nuisance
> and automagically translate control characters < ASCII

You don't have to wait, if you use N.AES you can use a font with the old Atari-charset for the AES and whatever you like as the standard VDI-font. The only drawback is that you need some sort of GDOS installed.

> wide character strings are UTF-8).  A while ago I have
> experimented a
> little with GDOS bitmap fonts that exceed the 256
> -character-limit and it
> mostly worked.  The font editors all had problems with

A temporary workaround would be to let the VDI do conversions on the fly, e.g. Atari -> 8859-1. This should be very easy to implement, in fact I think that a simple hook into the VDI-trap would do. Then you don't have to convert any fonts, the drawback is that you're still limited to 256 characters. But it would make life on the internet a lot easier :-)

Jo Even Skarstein