Re: [MiNT] Mistery processes...

Hello!

> I discovered 2 unknown processes in my /proc directory. All I know is their
> names: "sld.002" and "update.003". Since it's in lowercase, I suppose that they
> start after MiNT but I don't know who/what launches it... There isn't even a
> program which name looks like "sld" or "update" on my minix partition (except
> "updatedb" but it's only a script).

sld is the serial line daemon which is installed from slip/ppp driver and
update is started from kernel (filesystem sync daemon).

> I don't knwo what they do (apparently nothing) and I can't kill them.

Right, without the syncdaemon nobody sync your filesystem in regular
intervals. Without sld you can't open any ppp connection through serial
ports.

> And the worst is that they're almost big processes! 131088 and 461888 bytes. I
> don't really mind because I still have 93 Mb free but, nevertheless, if I could
> avoid it.

The program size say nothing. At the time they are started all attributes
from the root process are inherited.

Tschuess
   ...Frank

--