Re: [MiNT] New MiNT distribution is [long]

Stefan,

I don't think using bad words is really necessary to get your point
across. Stefan, are you saying that linux (no matter what hardware) is a
viable platform and is fully supported?
I am not sure now what you meant to say.

What I see is that most of the stuff (important) are only available for
i386 mainly (big app, netscape, plugins for it, word perfect, sybase,
applix, Staroffice, and many more which i don't draw a list, could be too
long).
The linux68k as I see it is mainly getting gnu app, which is quite
unfortunate i have to say. So rather in the same situation that MiNT is,
other than MiNT actually can run propriatary (non-unix) appl, (see
papyrus). Where is the equivalent of Papyrus, CalamusSL and such for
linux68k? Maybe there are applications I have missed.
The main advantage of mint over linux68k is TOS/GEM.
When I ask the question to some linux68k users(with all respect) about
what app they use, and what equivalent do they have for DTP, Music,
graphics in TC mode, word processing. They basically answer that if they
need to run any of these they would have bought a wintel machine which is
the best to do such. Linux is not to do that (so they say), they use it
only as hmm I don't know actually, do they expect to run commercial
servers/app on their 030? (or even 60)?

This is all very confused, and I am still wondering what it is about
linux68k (I do have linux on intel, and quite disapointed in general for
my own use, can't be worst than win95 though), but at least I can print,
drive the ISDN correctly, support the sound card, etc, which is not
possible on the linux INTEL, so I can't even imagine on the good old
atari.

Linux is gaining success in corporation, as a micro-server for dedicated
tasks, it is not YET appreciated for its desktop features, although it is
getting there. And I am feel happy that linux is gaining more market to
the microsoft one. Just that it is too soon to be a fully viable platform
(in my eyes).
Everytime I see more support for linux, it just makes my day, IBM is
supporting linux, DELL now will sell laptops with linux preinstalled, SUN,
Compaq droping NT to go with linux (and true64), SGI droping IRIX for
linux and such and such, this is all very good news to me. But doesn't do
anything for the 68k family. The keyword here was "market", and unless I
didn't understand what you meant, martin was right.

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, [iso-8859-1] Martin-Éric Racine wrote:

> On 2000-2-21, Stefan Berndtsson <stefan@nocrew.org> wrote:
>
> > > Read yourself.  The "market" you refer to is still Intel-based.
> > > Look around yourself.  Red Hat is an Intel OS.
> >
> > go fuck yourself until you get the point.. all further mails
> > from you will be completely ignored.
>
> HEHEHEHEHEHE!  Ignored by an ignorant.  Fun fun fun...
>
> --
> Martin-Éric Racine  http://funkyware.atari.org/  Atari TT030 FAQ
> Lappeenranta, Finland.  Surfing on a Intel/Microsoft-free GEM OS

                                            /
MiNT Is Now TOS, let's move on, shall we?  /
                                          /