Re: [MiNT] UTF-8 on MiNT?

> Happy New Year, by the way :)

Thanks!  Likewise.

> > I have, actually; processing a message tru an external conversion
> > will only work if the mailbox is local
>
> Sorry? Why that? Any decent mailer should be able to filter a message
> "online" before it gets displayed or answered. It doesn't matter at all
> where the messages are actually stored, as they aren't even touched for
> that.

OK, lemme rephrase that:

the messages on the mailspool need to be converted;  I shouldn't
have to remap once for reading, then once more before sending the
temp file to the text editor before replying.

> > The "external viewer" wrapper trick would not work for that.
>
> Why not? Your own messages will of course be in iso-8859-1 (or -15 like
> you seem to use now), but even MicroSoft products will be able to
> receive them properly when set to UTF-8 (which only applies to the
> charset used in outgoing messages by default, it doesn't mean Outlook
> (Express) won't accept other charsets than UTF-8).

Of course, Outlook accepts anything you throw at it.  The point
is, before I reply to a UTF-8 message, it has to be converted to
something 8-bit (e.g. latin1 or latin 9).  This can be done on
the fly (a real hassle, when the mailbox is accessed thru IMAP)
or by filtering all incoming messages thru a remapper before they
get stored on the INBOX, so we don't have to worry about it.

Anyhow, the answer is now obvious:

No mailer on MiNT or TOS handles UTF-8 yet.

--
Martin-Éric Racine  http://funkyware.atari.org/  Atari TT030 FAQ
Lappeenranta, Finland.  Surfing on a Intel/Microsoft-free GEM OS