Re: [MiNT] What's in, what's out?

On Wed, 01 Dec 1999 00:33:20 +0100, Guido Flohr wrote:

> Because it is far too complicated to build a MiNT kernel.  A Linux
> kernel is  by far more complex everybody that can read is able to build
> a personal kernel.

But most Linux-users have very powerful machines - we don't. OK, it would
be very nice with a complete environment that can recompile the kernel
with a single keystroke, but only for a very few people. Others - myself
included - would prefer a module-based system where you simply add new
functionality by dropping a file in a folder.

> like to see, disable the others and click OK".  It is impossible to
> offer a kernel that meets all demands and is still the most compact (get
> a copy of Microsoft Windows for a prove).

Bad example, Windows offers most of its functionality through the use of
DLLs.

> If the development stuff was plug and play you could even avoid the term
> "compile" and say instead "configure your system".  Well, you should
> also say, "that may take some time ...". ;-)

It will also require lots of diskspace. If there's no way to tune the kernel
without compiling it, I would actually prefer if somebody else did this for
me. Set up a 68k cross-compiler on a Linux-box somewhere and add a
web-interface. Then anyone with internet-access can configure their own
kernel and receive it in their mailbox.

/*
**
*/