Re: [MiNT] Where shall we go tomorrow?

> And even more difficulties arise: modifications in the /kern interface
> (assuming text output) require modifications and recompilation of all
> programs using this interface.

Eh?

> A cleverly designed binary interface
> would in the worst case only need a recompilation with new header files
> describing the new elements.

As is true also for the text interface.  It can be completely dynamic,
you just have to tag the elements eg. with something like 'Description:'
(ie single word in line start followed with ':') :-)), and programs will
ignore stuff with unknown tags[1].   Most of the /kern stuff will probably
be used for machine configuration either by adminstrator or scripts at
bootup, so I don't see why there would need to be dedicated programs
for much other stuff besides process information (ps/top).

<whimsical>
[1] WML/XML would be kewl in case you want to provide the world with specific
    info on your machine.  You could give apache read rights to your /kern.

    Interpreting XML is mucho work, not the producing of it, so it wouldn't
    be that bad on the kernel side.  On the other hand, 'ps' could bring
    a lesser machine on it's knees, if it needs to be able to grok kernel
    kernel XML stylesheets.  You could always do the 'ps' from another
    machine on the network though. <2001% wink>
</whimsical>

	- Eero		http://www.students.tut.fi/~t150315/