Re: [MiNT] New kernel features

On Wed, Dec 01, 1999 at 08:36:16AM +0100, Julian Reschke wrote:
> OK, what's the price for a memory expansion board beyond 4MB for a Mega ST?
> Where do you buy it? Who's going to install it?

[Since you are in Germany: MagnumST boards are still available, and any
dealer who can still handle a soldering iron (to install the CPU socket)
should be able to install it ;-)]

> > Or did you ever wonder why you will hardly find any non-human-readable
> > configuration/log/info files on a modern system?  Because this is
> > considered bad style.  If it is of human interest it should be
> > human-readable, welcome to Unix.
>
> Configuration files: yes. APIs: no.

> Then it's probably a much better idea to try to make it shared *without*
> taking up memory when it's not used. Like by making it a loadable XFS.

I fully agree with Julian on this (and on the other comments in this mail
too ...).

> I don't think it's fair to make it an issue of "us" and "them". Discussion
> must be allowed, and many people have contributed to MiNT earlier, either by
> source contributions, by writing software for it etc. Just because you
> happen not to have added kernel features lately, that doesn't mean that you
> don't contribute.

Correct. And I think there should be discussion *before* 'big' new features
are implemented - simply because even a very capable developer will not
always get the whole picture, and discussing things first gives the
opportunity to come up with a better approach without the need to throw away
code that is already written.

There needs to be a limit to discussion, and at the end, whoever does the
work will have to decide what he actually does, but a short discussion
before is not bad IMHO, if only to avoid doubling work.

cu
Michael
--
Michael Schwingen, Ahornstrasse 36, 52074 Aachen