Re: [MiNT] Security again

> > Including something like TraPatch in the kernel would make it immediately
> > available for everyone running MiNT. Hopefully, that would result in more
> I agree that this will be useful, but only if it's possible to use the same
> API under TOS or MagiC.

Yes, of course. I just don't think that the interface should necessarily
be the one that is used right now.

If an API an be defined which works well with MiNT, it should be simple to
make that work under the less protected OSes too. We don't want another of
those APIs that needlessly create problems for memory protection, for example.

> I think a separate TSR would do, but I think it must meet two conditions to

Yes, but since hooking into OS-traps is as low level as you can get, it
definitely should be under _some_ kind of kernel control. If we can't do
without it, we should at least try to make it a bit safer (for example
only allow it for programs running as root and perhaps automatically
unlink if a program exits without staying resident).

> 1. It must be distributed under a license that allows anybody to distribute
>    it with their own programs.
> 2. The source must be available to everybody so bugfixing and further
>    development can be ensured.

Agreed.

--
  Chalmers University   | Why are these |  e-mail:   rand@cd.chalmers.se
     of Technology      |  .signatures  |            johan@rand.thn.htu.se
                        | so hard to do |  WWW/ftp:  rand.thn.htu.se
   Gothenburg, Sweden   |     well?     |            (MGIFv5, QLem, BAD MOOD)