Re: [MiNT] PLIP-driver

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 01, 1999 at 11:25:24PM +0100, Torsten Lang wrote:
> But the possible collisions are one of the major problems I didn't have in mind
> when telling of porting the driver: The YM2149 IS very sensitive against
> these collisions. When connecting two YMs together it might not do much harm but
> PC printer ports normally can deliver higher output currents so you will have to
> take precautions to avoid users destroying ther soundchips! So I personally
> wouldn't dare using the original PLIP cable to connect to a PCs printer port.

This is of course an important point because for most users (including me)
it is quite surprising that software can actually destroy hardware.  An
annonying surprise.

Martin, did you or your friends ever contact Petr?  He has written a
software that enables data transmission between PC hardware (runs under
Linux, Windoze and MS-DOS as far as I remember) and Atari hardware.  It
seems to be feasible at least and I'm sure he can give some valuable hints
on what precautions to take to avoid damage to hardware.

> > PS:  while you obviously don't give a damn about Linux, bear in
> >
> That was NOT what I was writing nor what I meant.

And even if you did, no problem.  This is a MiNT list.

Another point that might be considered: What about the parallel interface
of the Milan?  I don't know it but from the general design philosophy of
the Milan I would guess it is compatible to Wintel hardware to keep costs
low.  If this is the case then it should be possible to port the Linux
plip interface to (Milan-)MiNT(Net).

On the MiNT side we would have to call that lplip or pcplip, on the
Linux/BSD side it would still be plip.  Then come Martin's friends with
their port of Atari plip to Linux.  The result:  You have to run aplip on
Linux to connect to a TT running plip.  But another Linux box runs plip to
connect to a Milan running lplip.  Not confusing?

	aplip <--> plip
	plip  <--> lplip

???

Anyway, we better argue about the name when the driver is available. ;-)

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000/