Re: FW: [MiNT] Best CAB.OVL for MiNT-Net? (fwd)

 Because of probs, this never made it previously...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 22:58:48 +0200
From: Odd Skancke <oskancke@online.no>
To: mint@fishpool.com
Subject: Re: FW: [MiNT] Best CAB.OVL for MiNT-Net?

 Hey, Lonny and John - and everyone,

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Lonny Pursell wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Oct 1999 11:39:46 +0000, Ronald J. Hall wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 15 Oct 1999 10:56:06 +0000 (GMT), John Blakeley wrote:
> >
> >JB ->I vaguely remember reading/hearing that all RAM on a Hades is "ST-RAM".
> >JB ->Isn't there some program that will fool the Hades into treating some
> >JB ->as ST and the rest as TT-RAM? Could be wrong, though. And possibly a bit
> >JB ->off topic.
> >JB ->
> >JB ->Salut/.
> >JB ->
> >JB ->J/.
> >JB ->__
> >JB ->John Blakeley
> >
> >  Hmm, not sure either (don't own a Hades <envious look>), but I think
> >  Odd Skanke (of StringServer fame) came up with some small util/app
> >  that divides the Hades Ram up into both kinds...
> >
> >  Odd? Lonny Pursell? You guys out there? ;-)
>
> Yes there is small utility called splitram I think. I know ozk uses
> this to do just that. Same here I'd love to get my hands on a hades. ;-)

 Yes, I did use splitram (by Bernd Ebert, I think). But now I use my own
thing, called set_mmu which does all I need. It sets up a translation tree
and splits the ram, like splitram did. However, since the Hades hardware
operates with only one type (physically) of RAM, there is no difference
between this ST and TT ram. But some ppl have problems using these mmu
tools of mine, and, for the most part, those that have problems are using
a Mach64 GFX card. This leads me to believe that the drivers for that card
really is the problem somehow. And I'm investigating it.

 Now, the biggest reason I had for starting to use splitram was that
kernels above 1.14.1 (or was that 1.15.1, can't remember now) had serious
problems with large amounts of ST-RAM (40Mb) on my Hades. This became
aparent when trying to compile something, as that does a lot of memory
allocs/deallocs. Also, I found out that using the Hades_bx.acc is not
good, as it enables a translation tree too late for MiNT to be able to use
Memory Protection, and the tree it sets up is uncomplete. So, for this
reason I wrote the set_mmu prog and its tools. To set up a translation
tree from the autofolder and split the ram. This enables me to run the 060
at "full-speed", and use MiNT with MP enabled.

 So, to get CAB and the MiNTnet OVL to work better, this might be a thing
to try. If you have a Mach64 gfx card, you might not make my tools work,
tho.....

 Odd Skancke - ozk@atari.org