[MiNT] MiNT-Net sucks!

Hi everbody,

The title is like this because I'm really fed up with all this pppd stuff that
definitively refuses to work on my Hades.

I've already done all that was possible: building a MiNT-Net configuration bit
by bit with the last version of every binary. I ended up in installing the net
part of the KGMD by hand (not easy but I made it).

Nevertheless, it never worked the way it should. I checked pppd 2.1.2, 2.2.0e,
2.2.0f and finally the special 115.200 version. Every version refuses to access
to /dev/modem2. I solved the problem in creating a symbolic link from modem2 to
ttyb. (If somebody amongst all these who argue about the names of modem ports
could explain why pppd "prefers" /dev/ttyb to /dev/modem2... that would be
_very_ nice!) All pppd's say "Couldnt get device fd flags: invalid function
number" until I tell them to access ttyb. For me, that's pure non-sense because
modem2 is "real" and not ttyb. Prove me the contrary!

Any way, it works this way. DTR blinks, CTS blinks, chat is launched... and
everything stays still until the end of the universe because chat fails. That's
pure mystery to me because the init string is sent to the modem which replies
"OK" (I monitored it several time with Connect.) ...but chat never sees the
"OK", the chat script is aborted... and pppd says "good bye".

I spent nights after nights on pppd and chat... pointlessly. I-Connect, NOS,
Connect access to modem2 at full speed (115K) everytime I launch them... only
pppd and chat are unable to. WHYYYY? I fondled them every way I knew, I gave
them all their config files I could so they don't even have to worry about
reading a single command line. The other way (entirely scripted with an endless
command line to pppd) doesn't work either...

And now I'm beyond despair. The barrell of my machine-gun is already in my
Hades' mouth. Should I pull the trigger? (Who said that Hades is the Gardian of
Hell's Gates?)

By the way, the first who dares to say that this is a pathname configuration
problem will recieve a burst of machine-gun in his/her (Hi Kay!) mailbox.

Please, add ;-) or :-( everywhere when needed.  :-))

See you later,

Remi Villatel
E-mail: maxilys@normandnet.fr