Re: RE: [MiNT] a clean "shutdown" command?

>    Then perhaps I'm doing something wrong.  I created the partition on
> a 1 GB partition that sits on a Micropolis 2 GB SCSI drive (external,
> of course).  I used whatever the default parameters happened to be,
> and only specified the destination drive.
>
>    I'm using Mint 1.15, beta 7, as 1.15.1 crashes too often with AES 4.1.
> I'd buy N.AES, but none of the European dealers want to respond to
> email.  I'm using HD Driver version 7.11, and ext2 version 0.55.
>
>    Here's some of the errors I get.  Even after running fsck, I still
> get the dialog box indicating I should run fsck.  Does this mean I
> should run fsck again?  In addition, I get errors such as the following
> every time I run fsck.ext2 (I'm using the version of the tools pulled
> from your page):
>
> Block bitmap differences:  -9506 +75042 +164627
> Fix<y>? yes
>
> Free blocks count wrong for group #1 (7928, counted=7929).
> Fix<y>? yes
>
> Free blocks count wrong for group #9 (4057, counted=4056).
> Fix<y>? yes
>
> Free blocks count wrong for group #20 (1, counted=0).
> Fix<y>? yes
>
> Free blocks count wrong (963309, counted=963308).
> Fix<y>? yes
>

> This was actually a fairly quiet one.  Often, I also get
> "restarting fsck" when I run fsck.

This is very interesting to myself, because I recently had a similar
experience. I personally have a 14 MB ** Atari ** Falcon with a 1.5 GB IDE
Conner CFS-1621 drive and I have completely no problems with it. I made an
ext2 partition on the Conner IDE I mentioned converting a 250 MB FAT
partition using mke2fs. Everything works perfectly, the filesystem is
consistent all the time and fsck never reports any errors on it
(especially since i've installed the xfs with shutdown support).

However, a guy here bought recently a ** C-Lab ** Falcon MkII with 4 MB
RAM and equipped with a 500 MB SCSI Quantum drive. I was asked to setup
MiNT on this machine. I must admit, I had nothing but problems.

First of all, I tried to make an ext2 partition, but the mke2fs just
terminated with a bus error. So i dropped the idea of setting up the ext2
filesystem and tried to make a Minix FS. This succeeded, however, when I
started to copy my filesystem structure to that disk, a spectacular mess
started to occur. On the destination disk there was created anything but
useful data. Minix FS fsck didn't even want to fix that, it reported
several thousands of various errors, then terminated with a bus error
signal.

I have disabled the filesystem caches. No help.

I verified the physical drive consistency. No errors.

The weird bit was that only Unix-like filesystems had this problem, FAT
partitions were rock solid and consistent.

Finally, as a last attempt, I told the hard disk driver to disable the
internal disk caches. And that partially helped... namely, I was able to
create a minix fs, copy all the files onto it (about 70 MB), verify it
with fsck successfully, then reboot into MiNT from that Quantum drive.

The computer is not 100% stable until now, but say, I replaced its
original 4 MB RAM card with a 14 MB card removed from my computer and when
the cards were replaced, the stability was noticeably improved. I have no
clue if there is a failure of the original RAMs, or MiNT just cannot run
on a 4 MB machine (??)

One thing I didn't do was to replace the hard disk driver (I suspect that
it may be a failure of the hddriver too) just because I had nothing to
replace it with. It was hddriver 7.60 installed there.

This might have been a hardware failure of the C-Lab related to SCSI
controller.

This might have been a hardware failure of the drive itself.

I don't know until now.

--
Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
|mail: draco@atari.org                  |  Atari Falcon030 user   |

** Ea natura multitudinis est,
** U pospolstwa normalne jest, ze albo sluzy ono unizenie,
** albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.