Re: [MiNT] MLPPP for MiNT?

Hi

> > Just thinking if anyone has ever try to do MLPPP protocol (MultiLink
> > PPP) for MiNT? Since my employer is paying my phonebills, I don=B4t mind
> > to have two lines open to the net ...
>
> Not that I would know of.  However, Ascend has a package that is
> easily licensed, right off their web site.
>
> > Current MiNT PPP driver doesn=B4t seem to like BOD functions (or
> > MultiLink) functions at all ... or is there something I have missed
> > totally?
>
> We are using 2.2.0f while the rest of the Unix universe upgraded
> to 2.3.5 (or something) which might explain it.

I remember that this question came up earlier on this list. So here's
my answer again:
At the moment there is no direct support for MLPPP in that form that
the ppp driver or pppd communicate to the modem when the connection
is already open to setup/close a second channel. But if you use a
modern modem it will work also with "our" pppd 2.2.0f. You simply
have to setup your modem in the chat/ppp-up script in a way that
it automatically establishes a second line on demand (that means
under high load conditions) and drops it again when the load decreases.
My US Robotics I-Modem works fine on my Atari with MLPPP!

Other modems like ELSA products may also have this feature. Since
configuring MLPPP does not seem to be standardized for the moment
I think this solution is ok.

The only problem I have (and that's why I'm actually not using it) is
that the RS-232 converters Harun uses in the ST-ESCC are not really
reliable on high serial speeds above 115200Bd.

Regards,
   Torsten