Re: [MiNT] Mintnet bug

> > > Anyhow, my admin basically says that it seems to him, from the log file,
> > > that Mintet produces non-compliant IP packets that break RFC 1122.
> >
> > PS:  he adds that it is quoted from linux 2.2.x net/ipv4/icmp.c
> >      as detailed by Alan Cox.
>
> ...and I just happen to notice that ICMP behavior was altered since
> Mintnet 1.03, as mentioned in the "Modifications.TL" file.  It does
> not say _what_ was modified, though, nor are diffs included.
>
> Anyhow, that might be where the problem comes from.  Anybody knows?

Why don't you simply ask the one who implemented the change???

The behaviour was changed in a way that also icmp echo requests to a broadcast
address (like a ping to 192.168.1.255) are answered by the network kernal.
This is how Linux behaves and was needed for some Macintosh nfs client (and
perhaps other sw) that tries to find all systems in the local network by
sending such broadcasts.

The original network kernal simply dropped such requests...

Regards,
    Torsten Lang