Re: [MiNT] Memory protection difficulties

> Firstly the machine operates noticable slower with memory protection
> enabled.

I've got a similar feeling so I started Gembench and measured it.
Everything was as fast as usually. So I think that only start of an app
takes a little bit longer (a MMU tree has to be built) but the actual run
is unaffected.

> The other problems relate primarily to GEM and certain programs in
> particular. ST-Guide completely fails

I believe this can be solved by either upgrading to the latest version (I
have two or three years old one) or setting of some flags in its header. I
can't imagine Atari machines without ST-Guide.

> control panel program that works well - Z-Control causes a memory
> violation when closing a CPX

Jo Even posted a hint for Z-Control two or three days ago here.

> Lastly, and possibly the worst problem since it is unpradictable, is that
> since enabling memory protection, I get occasional (about once every day
> or two) inexplicable crashes where the computer just freezes. It can
> happen at any time, whether the computer is being used at the time or not,
> and when it happens the machine entirely does not respond, although
> pressing the reset button reboots the machine and everything is back to
> normal.

I observed this as well, much more frequently, though. No idea how to fix
it :-(

Petr