Re: [MiNT] WDIALOG (was something else)

On Wed, 5 May 1999 04:58:09 +0200, Guido Flohr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I personally don't own a printer (you're not very eager to purchase an ink
> pisser when you have a giant laser printer at work) but ...
>
> IMHO the WDIALOG functionality (or non-functionality) belongs neither into
> a TSR nor into the AES.  Why not write an lp daemon for MiNT that works?
> That lp daemon could then handle the standard Unix way (i. e. handle
> Postscript) and could also provide the WDIALOG functionality.

I think you got that wrong. Wdialog gives you a possibility to put Dialog-Boxes
into Windows.
Since NVDI uses it heavily (nearly every tool and also the cpx for setting the
printer-properties) Wdialog is necessary for printing (not because of
the printing itself - that works without wdialog -  but for setting the
parameters like resolution and Papersource and so on.
This is also the reason why many programs are insisting on wdialog (like
ArtWorx). So the right place indeed would be the AES.

BTW: What Problems do you have with the lpd? It works fine here (printing
>from the net to my atari and also printing to a linux-box). For postscript
I would have to configure ghostscript as an filter, but that is much work,
since my linux-box is much faster and preconfigured to print postscript.

Greetings,
				Bernd