Re: [MiNT] Q about MP

Hi!

On Sun, May 09, 1999 at 04:25:05PM +0200, Petr Stehlik wrote:
> Exactly. And by "working well" I imagine that every application either runs fine
> or is killed with that nice Alertbox. But no freezes.

That means you have alert.acc or something like that to display kernel
messages in an alert box?

The freezes some seem to experience may well have to do with that. In
the first place, the AES gets killed (very likely with tools which catch
Ctrl-Alt-Combos, for example, I experienced the same with KeyWatch),
because a non-process (i.e. a TSR) causes a memory violation while the
AES is the active process. Now, the memory violation message can't ever
appear, as it's still written to U:\pipe\alert, but the reader can't
display the message in an alert box because the AES is no longer
existent ...

Furthermore, whenever either MiNT itself or a system process (like the
AES) gets killed due to a memory violation, the system will be halted
because it's very likely that something very bad has happened that lead
to such a violation. As a result, the machine is freezed and of course
can't react to Debug-keys and such any longer.

Please try without any system-alert tool, so that memory violations get
reported to the screen (or whatever you've set DEBUG_DEVNO to in
mint.cnf). When you now see a memory violation, compare the offending PC
to the TEXT address of the process being killed.

Ciao

Thomas

--
Thomas Binder (Gryf @ IRCNet)  gryf@hrzpub.tu-darmstadt.de