Re: [MiNT] FreeMint 1.15.1 rev 1.3 Beta & CT2 rev B

On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, Martin-Eric Racine wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Apr 1999, joel houplon wrote:
>
> > I have a CT2 rev B + 64 Mo FastRam and FreeMint 1.15.1 rev 1.3 Beta crash when
> > it is launch (FASTRAM enabled)(68000 or 68030 binary no change)
> >
> > No Problem with FastRam disabled.
>
> Now, _that_ is something interresting:
>
> Most of my problems (using any kernel from 1.15.0-release onwards)
> happen _if_ my TT-RAM card is inserted.  If it's removed, then the
> kernel, NVDI and N.AES boot really fast and without any problem.
>
> Btw, I have also tried an Atari TT-RAM card instead of my AixTT;
> same horrible results on booting performances, on my TT.
>
> Was anything changed on the memory management side, since 1.14
> that could explain this broken behavior?

I personaly don't think that the ram itself is the problem with the ct2
problem. For your TT I don't know. BUT:

The things is:
In order to get the fastram available, one must use TOS 7.0x  Which is a
copy of ROM TOS, then patched, and dumped into FASTRAM.
So it basically is like GEMRAM with extra patches.
I might think that beta3 of MiNT kernal has done something that TOS 7.04
doesn't like,  read on the CHANGES files that Joerg changed some things
related to that. My bet is right there. COuld be wrong. but makes sense.

Also, HUGE drawback in a possble near/far future.
TOS 7.04 installs a MMU cookie because of Fastram management whatever.
This cancels all MiNT memory management because of that. MiNT when
booting, seeing that MMU already installed will just switch to memory NON
protected, no virtual ram.
 WHat's a solution?

ALso, here is where it crashes. (NO other TSR for example, NO nothing
else, just the kernal in auto).

Multitos kernal
@1992,1993,1994 Atari Corporation
All right reserved
Use this program at your own risk.

BUS error right there. :)

Beta 2 works fine though even with PLENTY of TSR etc.