Re: [MiNT] pppd

On 11 Apr 99 09:49:58 +0000, Ronald J. Hall wrote:

> ->>   Hi Jo. Hmm, if you run it from Thing, you're GEM so thats root, right?
> ->
> ->Not necessarily. :)
>
>   Oh, I think I see what you mean. If you open up a console on your Thing
>   desktop, logon as any user other than "root", then run pppd, right? ;')

That's one way, but the AES is still root then. The way I do it is that I
start init.prg instead of n_aes.sys at boot-time (INIT=init.prg instead of
GEM=n_aes.sys in mint.cnf) and log on as a user different than root. Then
I start N.AES from tcsh.

So instead of MiNT -> N.AES the boot-process is something like...

  MiNT -> init -> login -> tcsh -> N.AES

I have a few lines in /etc/csh.login that automatically starts N.AES when I
log on the physical console:

if ($term == "st52") then
   /bin/naes
   logout
endif

There are probably more elegant ways of doing it, but it works and since I
have 64Mb fastRAM I don't mind loosing 400Kb to a shell... If I was starting
from scratch I would probably have used GEMinit instead, but it's too much
work to adapt my current setup to GEMinit.

/*
**
*/