[MiNT] MiNT and time zones problem

Today I decided I would try to set up MiNT with tzinit for the proper
timezone and daylight savings time support. I am using FreeMiNT version
1.15.0.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be working. It failed in a couple of
different ways, which I will describe:

First, I specified the TZ variable in mint.cnf as follows:

setenv TZ NZST-12NZDT,10.1.0,3.3.0

I understood that this would specify the following:
The timezone is NZST which is 12 hours ahead of GMT. Daylight saving
timezone is NZDT which is 13 hours ahead of GMT. Daylight saving time
begins at Sunday on the first week of October and ends on Sunday in the
3rd week of March.

So I added the line exec c:\multitos\tzinit to my mint.cnf file (since
that's where I placed tzinit) and set my clock to GMT, but it didn't work
how I expected. When the system started up, tzinit said "Timezone in use:
NZST." Yet right now we are after October but before March, and daylight
saving time should be in effect. But for some reason tzinit says that it
isn't.

So next, I tried specifying TZ like this:

setenv TZ NZDT-13

This should make it be NZDT at 13 hours ahead of GMT without question.
But when I stared up, I got the following messages:

Timezone in use: NZDT
Offset to GMT: -780 minutes
tzinit: Tsettimeofday failed: range error/bad argument

And then, date shows me the time in GMT, even though the timezone is shows
is NZDT. E.g.

Tue Jan 26 22:11:16 NZDT 1999

Yet 22:11:16 would be the time in GMT not NZDT!

So which ever way I do it, it doesn't work right.

Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

| Mario Becroft                * Tariland, New Zealand Atari User Group |
| mb@tos.pl.net                * Atari Hardware Developments            |
| http://www.pl.net/~mario/    * Atari Serial Mouse Interface           |