[MiNT] Re: Loadable keyboards

Old thread...

> > No, the Alt combinations are handled by TOS and are hardcoded, AFAIK.
> > You would have to write a completely new keyboard driver.
>
> Only up to TOS 2.06.
>
> "New code as of 5/92: in the all-countries cases (TT, SPARROW) we use
>  the new variables salttran/saltshif/saltcl as associative lookup tables
>  instead of doing the alt-key translation job in code."
>
> Keytbl (XBIOS 16) returns the pointer to the KEYTAB struct. In newer TOS
> versions, these consist of:
>  - unshift table
>  - shift table
>  - CTRL table
>  - unshifted ALT table
>  - shifted ALT-Table
>  - capslock ALT-table
>
> The new tables consist of scancode, ASCII code pairs, terminated by a zero
> scancode.
>
> I am not sure if this was documented by Atari (I don't have a compendium
> here), and if you should use this feature to load new keytables - but I do
> not see much danger in using it as long as you are sure that the TOS version
> you are on does have these tables. It definitely is much easier than writing
> a whole new keyboard driver.

It is. It was said that the feature is present when the system installs
_AKP cookie. TOS 4.04 installs it, and supports it, TOS 3.06 doesn't
install and doesn't support....

I don't remember if that was pointed out. If it was, sorry.

Cu,

--
Konrad M.Kokoszkiewicz
|mail: draco@mi.com.pl                  | Atari Falcon030/TT030/65XE |
|http://www.obta.uw.edu.pl/~draco/
|http://draco.atari.org

** Ea natura multitudinis est,
** U pospolstwa normalne jest, ze albo sluzy ono unizenie,
** albo bezczelnie sie panoszy.