Re: [MiNT] Kernal questions.

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999 23:06:00 +0100, Jörg_Westheide wrote:

> JES>On my Falcon the current kernel takes *ages* to boot if the
> JES>floppydrive is empty.
> That's not the empty floppy drive, that are the tons of stuff started from
> mint.cnf (I moved many TSRs there) and the rc files, at least on my ST :-)

Yes it is, the floppy-drive is active for about 30 seconds before MiNT
continues to boot. With a floppy inserted it takes less than a second.

> JES>optimised raw floppy-device and mount the filesystems on that?
> Isn't such a device available? I think I once saw something like that on an
> ftp server...

I have it here, but it looks like it use the bios for IO... To improve
performance a new low-level driver must be implemented. We could use an
old demo-coder, some of the loaders written 10 years ago were incredibly
fast :-)

/*
**
*/