Re: [MiNT] MiNT termination

> Konrad Kokoszkiewicz wrote:
 >
 > Hi all,
 >
 > Now, when the init process terminates, the MiNT does less or more the
 > following:
 >
 > - kills all processes left
 > - restores old settings
 > - quits to TOS
 >
 > Restoring old settings involves restoring old screen settings. This
often
 > fails on my Falcon causing a hang instead of entering TOS.
 >
 > Despite this sad fact, if the init process terminates, there's no way
 > get the system back up from remote. If it doesn't hang, it will enter
TOS
 > and sit there until someone comes to the machine and hits the RESET
key.

 > So, maybe the idea of going to TOS when MiNT terminates isn't very
good
 > anymore.
 >
 > Say if init terminates, MiNT wouldn't bother restoring old TOS
settings,
 > but just would go reboot instead of quitting to TOS. Such a solution
 > would allow to avoid a crash while restoring screen (doesn't make
much
 > sense when MiNT boots in ST-high, then tries to make ST-high back
from
 > 800x600/256 at own exit) and there would be a chance to get system
back
 > running even if root accidentally killed init process.
 >
 > Additionally, I would be for moving the function of killing all
processes
 > from MiNT to init. I.e. init, when hit by SIGTERM or similar signal,
would
 > kill everyone (its children), then terminate. So if init terminates,
the
 > kernel could assume that there are no processes left, i.e. just do
some
 > Sync(), then straight reboot.
 >
 > On systems without init.prg, ie. where AES is used, would be the
same.
 > I.e. the AES would only care on killing children at shutdown time,
then
 > it would exit, what would be a signal for the kernel that it should
reboot
 > the machine.
 >
 > I believe this also would solve the problem with assert from pipefs.c
 > sometimes occuring while shutting the system down.
 >
 > Any comments?

 Just One. I use the KGMD Halt, which kill's all process, exits Mint and
 returns to tos. I have then edited and recompiled programs in tos mode.
 Everything seems to function fine. Is there a problem with returning
 to tos after running init.??
 I feel more confident shutting down my TT knowing I have successfully
 exited init. With the shutdown method, there really does not seem to
 be any way to know that all processes have been killed and files
closed.
 All you see is a blank screen and have no key response.

--
Brent
Thirsk Engine /Ponoka/Alberta/Canada