Re: 3 button mouse (was: Re: [MiNT] X magic)

On Wed, Dec 09, 1998 at 11:42:52AM +0100, Johan Klockars wrote:
> > > that unlike X, AES-applications are responsible for all redraws. X
> > > knows the contents of it's windows, so it can do reasonable fast
>
> X _can_ buffer windows, but AFAIK that's not mandatory. I don't know what
> programs make use of it.

I think that's correct.  The X server will usually try to double the
window contents. If this is not possible (most probably due to lack
of resources) it is the client's responsibility to redraw the window.

In fact the AES uses the same mechanism (with a different default
behavior).  It _does_ save the screen contents for menues and
alerts (quarter screen buffer).  And who says that it shouldn't
try to buffer as many windows as possible?  For an emulation on
a machine with vm this would certainly make sense.

Even the VDI does screen buffering.  As far as I know applications
won't see a redraw event when I move my mouse pointer.

Ciao

Guido
--
http://stud.uni-sb.de/~gufl0000