VME and MiNT

Is there any support for "off the shelf" VME cards for the MegaSTE?
I've had my MegaSTE for some years now (along with my Falcon) and I never see
any mention of the use of VME for this computer other than Atari specific
cards.  Is the VME on the MegaSTE somewhat bastardized where as it couldn't
utilize the DSP and Graphic cards available for other systems with VME?  Now I
believe even the Hades has a VME slot, from looking at VMEBUS Systems website:
http://www.vmebus-systems.com/index.html   There seems to be quite a bit of
development with VME even to the point of PPC cards.  This gives the
impression that Atari choose VME because of its acceptance in the engineering
community.  With the expandability and flexibility of MiNT, would it be
possible to create some general drivers that would allow plug and play of VME
devices on MegaSTE, TT, and Hades systems?

Peter Ross