Problems with gcc 2.8.1?

I'm trying to compile zlib 1.1.3, and while it seems to compile and
link OK, but if I try to link libz to a program it complains about
some undeclared symbols which I *know* is declared. I had this problem
when I tried to compile MiNT a couple of weeks ago as well, but it
suddenly disappeared.

Does anybody else have similar problems, or is it just me? I remember
compiling the previous version of zlib with gcc 2.7.2.3 without
problems. Unfortunely I've deleted the source for the old zlib so I
can't try it with 2.8.1.

/*
**
*/