RE: Next gcc 2.8.1

>  Hi!
>
> For the next gcc release (2.8.1c or, if available 2.8.2 :-) I
> want to change
> the library naming scheme. I think its time to switch to standard
> unix names
> like 'libc.a'.
> To avoid trouble with long names the 'lib' will removed (libc.a
> -> c.a) on
> short (8.3) TOS file systems.

I agree with this. I suggested it myself quite a while ago.

> If gcc is started with '-mshort' the linker automatically appends
> '16' to the
> lib names (-lgem links libgem16.a), so you must not specify a
> special lib name
> for the 16bit mode.

This is still an area open for debate, since we have so many possible
variations
to consider:
	68000, 16 bit, absolute
	68000, 32 bit, absolute
	68000, 16 bit, base-relative
	68000, 32 bit, base-relative
	68020, 16 bit, absolute
	68020, 32 bit, absolute
	68020, 16 bit, base-relative
	68020, 32 bit, base-relative

I think we need to move to more compact notations for each variation...