My friend has a problem with mintnet

Hi, My friend installed mintnet from kgmd correctly. Everything went
fine.
He uses hsmodem, and has a 36k modem on his falcon.
His isp supports pppp only. He uses PAP for authentification.
He connects fine, and all the clients work fine.

The problem is: he has a very bad connection. Always VERY slow and
MANY droped packets.
He even changed ISP. And still the same VERY bad speed no matter what.
Tried basically everything I could think off.
WHY is it so slow? what does make a connection fast or slow?
getting a file from funet or lip6, or some german ftp site at 600bps
is no fun ;) when here I get some 3500bps

The worst part is that when he uses STING, he gets a good speed. So
his ISP is not the real problem.

Any idea, suggestion?
Thanks

Email:Kellis@primenet.com