Re: Distributions

Stephen Usher wrote:

> >On Tue, 21 Jul 1998, Brent Thirsk wrote:
> >
> >> The cure is to install the original getty from the mintos-1.4.1 pkg.
> >
> >Would this be the distribution that can be found on funet and is simply
> >called "mint distribution"? And who made this? I'm curious because I want
> >to know who deserves the credit for coming up with a full multiuser MiNT
> >distribution in the first place, I always assumed it was Knarf. :)
> >
> >(I just want to get things right in my documentation). :)
>
> OK, I admit it.. I did it! Don't all throw your stones at once! :-)

I think he's talking about my (ancient, now) packaging of this actually
Steve - I took your Mintos, minixfs (for which I got a slap on the wrists
for not crediting - whoops :-) and a lot of utils (gnu stuff
+ what Eric had written) and made the 'MDK' or 'Mint Distribution Kit'.

You could install 'packages' of stuff (like 'gnu fileutils') etc as a
whole, and it formatted your HD with Minixfs (I was *really* glad I
had a tape streamer, so many times :-)) and installed a 'unix-like'
filesystem (/usr, /etc etc.) on it.

In it's heyday it was quite popular, but it suffered from being written
in GFA Basic, (which could be made to run on all sorts of machines, but
you sort of had to struggle... I didn't know 'C' at the time :-), so
it wasn't that portable :-) Still, it worked for a lot of people.

I think the part of it I was most proud of was the manual actually -
I'd just bought 'Caligrapher' and I did it in that - did my thesis in
it too :-))

Of course, Steve may be right, and you may be talking about Mintos alone,
in which case I'll shut up :-)

ATB,
	Simon.
--
Catapultam habeo!
Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam !!