Re: Documentation

Robert Krenn wrote:

> Why go trough all the work of first extracting the files
> to RAM, and then copy it to some filesystem???
>
> I can see some problems arising when you have a 4 MB
> machine and trying to install emacs or pine :^D

Well,

The .ST disk could still preserve the paths and symbolic link information.
Supposedly bzip is faster and has a compression factor of 14 to 1.  I don't
know how this compares to tar.gzip.  The idea I was thinking is borrowed from
the Mac.  Basically, when a system file is updated, it is presented as a disk
image.  This way, the user can choose to install from the image or back up to
floppy.  This is also useful if a developer must make floppies from the images
for distribution purposes.  BTW, is it possible used compressed fonts and
sound files under MiNT?  Would ICE be good for implimenting this?  I guess
this question is directed to future freeType support through fVDI and to SAM
for sound.  For more info on Bzip and other recent MiNT ports refer to:

    http://homepages.fh-giessen.de/~hg6782/

I can do some research on the .ST to find out the possibility of having a
standardized disk image format.

Peter

--
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. -- Emerson