Re: Palette setting?

joska@nuts.edu%INTERNET wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Julian Reschke-FJR010 wrote:
>
> > > I had the impression that it's only partially initialized and that AES
> > > initializes rest of it.  Can you use virtual workstations from auto/?
> >
> > No. You have to open the *physical* workstation. Just do what the AES
> > does.
>
> I think you *can* use virtual workstations before the AES is initialized.
> I have never tried it, but I can't see any reasons why not. The physical
> workstation must be opened first, but this is perhaps already done (after
> all, TOS use VDI to draw the Fuji-logo and the text).

Of course you can open virtual workstations as soon as the physical one
is opened. This is exactly what happens with the AES.

And if the boot code really uses VDI to draw that logo (which I doubt),
it obviously closes the workstation again. Otherwise AES wouldn't be
able to open it again later.

> Normally you open virtual workstations with the handle retrieved from
> graf_handle(), but all graf_handle() does is to return the handle to the
> physical workstation the AES use. Currently this is always the screen.

Yes.