Re: fVDI ?

> > What is fVDI and where can I get it?
>
> fVDI is a free VDI-replacement developed by Johan Clockars. It's still

Supposed to be one part of the Fenix project, but at the moment it seems
to be the _only_ part of that.  :-(

> experimental, but is already significantly faster than NVDI in some

The current fVDI version (0.85c) works well with most programs I've tried
it with (CAB and AtariWorks exhibit strange problems), but there are still
quite a few things that aren't implemented.

The monochrome device driver is indeed faster than NVDI at some things
(actually up to _five_ times faster on the small text test in GEMBench on
my Falcon+AB040) and rather close on most others.
Currently the colour device drivers are _very_ slow, however, since they
do everything but line drawing (or filling in the case of the 15/16 bit one)
on a pixel by pixel basis. I expect to get the 4 bit driver up to usable
speed before the real 0.85 release (in a week or two), though.

> areas :-) It also works on Nova graphics-cards, although only in
> monochrome yet.

A previous version worked in 8 bit colour mode and with v0.84 there's even
complete source code included for a working (but slow) 15/16 bit device driver.

> I'm not sure where you can get it though, but look at Hallvard's
> pages.

It might be easier if you checked mine.  ;-)

If anyone is interested in helping out, please get in touch with me.

--
  Chalmers University   | Why are these |  e-mail:   rand@cd.chalmers.se
     of Technology      |  .signatures  |            johan@rand.thn.htu.se
                        | so hard to do |  WWW/ftp:  rand.thn.htu.se
   Gothenburg, Sweden   |     well?     |            (MGIFv5, QLem, BAD MOOD)