Re: proposal - "piped files"

> The solution I propose is a new ioctl for files, which makes them behave

sounds like a good idea to me.

> file may only be 2K at the moment, with another 2K arriving later. Should the
> read wait for the full 4K to arrive, or should it return right away with the
> 2K that's there? I suppose that's what the NDELAY open mode is for...

Have you just answered your own question? I would have said wait until full
4k is there, but if there is an flag for it, there isn't a problem...

> One other point - for a filesystem with sufficient data cache blocks, this
> will not perform much worse than an actual pipe, since the reader's reads can
> all be satisfied from the cache...

Does this mean not TOSfs?

Anthony
--
Anthony Jacques           IRC: AnthonyJ | The boy stood on the burning deck
jacquesa@zetnet.co.uk                   | Twit.
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/jacquesa/ |                  (Spike Milligan)